Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Getting up to Date

Wow, it's been six years since I've posted anything here. Seems like just yesterday I was struggling to graduate Phoenix with my MBA, but it's been over six years now. I'm still developing software, with a few systems engineering stops.

The last project was in .NET 4.0, using the C# language and I learned a tremendous amount from my co-worker. The project used git as the version control system and I learned a lot about it, and am using it as my personal VCS. The project needed a way to ensure sameness between the built installer file and copies of it. Copies could be on CD or deployed in some other fashion, so I researched the best way to do that and found that using a hash algorithms such as the SHA or MDA families are the industry standard way of proving sameness. This research led me to develop a quick Windows Forms application to implement the SHA-1 algorithm. I thought it would be a quick app to write, but was proved wrong. I'm still working on it in fact.

The first version was a simple form that allowed the user to pick a folder. All the files in that folder were hashed and saved in an XML file. It worked but didn't really work like other Windows applications so I am implementing a menu system with the standard menu options. Right now I am implementing the Undo functionality using a Memento pattern. First time I'm using that pattern and its a lot of fun.

Personally I've accomplished a few of my goals. I'm now a C class Limited shooter in USPSA. Next goal will be to move up to B of course. I'm still supporting our great men and women in the Armed Forces and am enjoying it. Another personal goal for me is to update this blog more often, so until next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home